Sunday, April 7, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Sunday Recipe Share--Gluten Free Zucchini Lasagna

I can't wait for zucchini season!!!    Thanks to skinnytaste.com for this great recipe!

I don't follow a gluten free diet, but I do have a sensitivity to too much wheat, so I try to sub it out whenever I can.  I like the idea of using healthier zucchini "noodles" in this lasagna.  I make my Eggplant Parmesan very similarly to this--using grilled eggplant, but I use a marinara sauce for that--I try to make tasty meat free meals as often as possible.  This recipe could also be done with a marinara sauce, if desired.

Zucchini and eggplant both have a lot of water in them, so you want them as dry as possible before using in a casserole like this (the reason for the grilling), and as it's stated in the recipe, the sauce should be very thick--you could even used canned/jarred pizza sauce instead, which is a lot thicker than regular jarred sauces.  If you use regular canned/jarred sauce, make sure to cook it down a bit first.  Some other substitutions you could make:  ground turkey or chicken (white meat is the leanest), turkey or chicken sausage, or meat free crumbles.  You could also sub out the ricotta for drained small curd cottage cheese.  Line a strainer with a coffee filter put in the cottage cheese and let it drain for at least an hour or so, pressing out as much of the liquid as possible.

If you just have to have noodles, why not try putting one layer of zucchini into the middle of the dish, or try using some kind of whole grain noodle?  For my vegetarian friends, omit the meat or use the meat free crumbles and for my vegan friends, try using dairy free cheeses and some egg substitute--never tried this, so no guarantees here.

Bon Appetit!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment