Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Wednesday's Website - Motion Traxx free podcasts on Itunes


As I've stated in a previous post, music is one of my top motivators.  Studies have shown that people who exercise to music they love will work harder and for a longer time--they'll put in up to 10 percent more effort and gain 15 percent more endurance.  One study interviewed 2,000 people across the United States and found that 94 percent of those who exercised while listening to music said they wouldn't without it.  The same study found that music users feel they're more likely to exercise when they're not in the mood if they know music is available.  Seemingly, the sound of the music blocks our nerves from signaling body fatigue and decreases our perception of our exercise effort.

In another study, geared toward measuring weight loss in women, it was determined that those who walked to music lost significantly more weight and body fat (probably because they worked harder and possibly longer).  Additionally, the music-listening group adhered better to the program, and fewer of them dropped out of the study (the motivational aspect).

For me personally, this is so true.  A number of years ago, I was in a class at Harper College that covered exercise testing.  We had to perform max stress tests on a treadmill--this means go until you can go no more.  Our vitals were checked as we walked and the speed and/or resistance was increased.  I asked if I could listen to music while I did the test because I knew I could longer.  I was able to do one test with music, but then had to do the second one--which was more of an exam--without.  I lasted so much longer with the music!  I use the beat to determine my pace, whether I'm out for a walk, or teaching a class and I pick songs that make me want to move.

Today,  I provided a link to a company called MotionTraxx that offers 101 free music podcasts via Itunes.  There are all types of mixes here at all different speeds.  The higher the bpm (beats per minute) the faster you have to move to keep up.  You can download the files to your computer and play them from there, or you can load them onto an ipod.  You can pick the music by bpm or by activity.  Usually the DJ--Deekron comes in periodically to tell you if the bpm is changing--as in an interval workout, how far you are into the workout, or how many minutes have passed.  Some workouts are actually coached as well.  Some mixes are instrumental music, some have words--none are performed by original artists.  There's all types of genres as well, from Latin to Disco.  If you can't find something here, well, I don't know what to tell you--create your own mix and just move to the music!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment