Sunday, August 25, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Sunday's Recipe Share -- Tomatoes!!!

There's nothing quite like freshly picked tomatoes off the vine--cherry, grape, roma, beefsteak--it doesn't matter.  Thankfully tomatoes love my garden and grow fairly easily for me.

I do have my favorite recipes for their use, but I thought I'd research my favorite place--Cooking Light for something different and found 80, count 'em 80 recipes for fresh tomatoes!!!  While all of these recipes do use fresh tomatoes, they are not necessarily the star of the dish, but that's okay, because sometimes you need yummy ways to use up your overabundance of tomatoes besides making salsa and sauce.

Here's a few I think I'll try:



I've always made the standard stuffed tomatoes using soft bread crumbs.  I like the idea of adding the grains and corn with a little of heat from the peppers--which I also have in my garden.  I may try it with brown rice, just because that's what I have in my pantry.  I haven't tried quinoa yet--this may be a good way to start.


This sounds so good to me!  What could be better?  Tomatoes, cheese and olives?  YUM!!!  This would be great served on some crusty bread. I'm definitely making this one.


I wish I liked fried green tomatoes.  At the end of Summer every year without fail I end up having a whole bunch of green tomatoes that have absolutely no chance of ripening.  I bring them inside to ripen, but they just aren't the same.  I've made several attempts at preparing fried green tomatoes--just not a fan, but maybe adding some bacon with help!!!! Bacon makes everything better lol


Lastly, I included a tart recipe.  It is very similar to one of my go to recipes.  It makes a great light summer entree with a side salad or can be served as an appetizer.  It's great served warm or at room temperature.




No comments:

Post a Comment