Saturday, September 21, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Saturday's Stretch -- Benefits of Yoga --Flexibility

Today I've posted another video in the Benefits of Yoga series from Melissa West at Namaste Yoga.

I used to be able to do this--I could actually touch my head!!!  Yes--it was when I was middle school, but that's not the point!!!

The benefit of yoga presented today is flexibility.

Whether you tend to be more sedentary because of your job, or if you are a workout warrior, your flexibility can be effected.

When you don't move, you get stiff--that makes sense, but some of the fittest people I know are also some of the most inflexible.  This is mainly because they spend all their working out time focused on burning calories and lifting weights, both of which are good for the body, but if flexibility training isn't included, those strong muscles get shortened and they can get pretty tight and stiff.

From the yoga standpoint (from Melissa's blog):

"According to the Toa Te Ching, Whatever is flexible, and flowing will tend to grow, whereas whatever is rigid and blocked will whither and die. As yogis we stay fluid, young and supple through the practice of yoga asana."

Then it is taken a step further (and I love this quote):

 "A flexible body allows us to be flexible in our minds, emotions and spirits as well. I can think of so many examples in my day to day life where I am asked to be flexible." 

I have to say that I have never made that mind/body connection as far as flexibility goes and I find it fascinating.  The next time I am doing yoga or some other form of flexibility training, I'm going to try to keep my mind and attitude flexible as well.

As she quotes:  "As they say, “When nothing goes right, go left” We can be flexible."



So start or continue to do some kind of flexibility training.  Your muscles and your mind will thank you...and maybe you'll even become easier to live or deal with.




No comments:

Post a Comment