Sunday, February 2, 2014

Sunday's Recipe Share -- Food for the Big Game

It's Super Bowl Sunday--the second biggest eating day behind Thanksgiving.  What will you be serving?

I thought I'd share a couple of recipes here.

The first one is for zucchini mini quiches/fritters.  They are gluten and grain free are quite yummy and very easy to make.  I made these last week as a side, but they would make great finger food for the big game.  Mine were more quiche-like.  These could be made a bit ahead of time and served at room temperature.


Here's the recipe:

Makes 12

1 medium zucchini, grated
2 T. coconut flour
2 T. grated Parmesan
2 lg. eggs, beaten
1 t. lemon zest
1 t. garlic, minced
salt, pepper to taste

Preheat the oven to 375.  Grease a mini muffin pan with coconut oil.

Combine all the ingredients in a bowl, stirring well.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared pan, pressing the mixture until it is well compacted.

Bake for 17-25 minutes (17 minutes will produce more quiche-like bites, longer will produce crispier, fritter-like bites).

Then, you've got to have chicken wings.  I just make a sauce with melted butter and Frank's hot sauce and marinate the wings in the sauce, then bake them and then pour more (not the marinate) sauce over the top.  Serve them with celery and carrot sticks and bleu cheese dressing of course.

I usually make a big pot of chili and corn dogs, but now that I'm following the paleo diet, I'm going to make my "corn" muffins in a mini pan and put a piece of hot dog in them.  Here's the recipe for the muffins:

Paleo Cornbread Muffins
Yield: 6-8 muffins
Ingredients
  • (Double recipe if desired)
  • 1/4 cup coconut flour
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, butter or real lard, liquified
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 1 Tbs. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1 Tbs. raw honey
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350. Line 6 muffin cups with liners. Mix together the coconut flour and oil until smooth, then beat in the eggs until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients and stir well.
  2. Divide between the prepared cups and bake about 20 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean and the top springs back when lightly pressed.
I would use a greased mini muffin pan instead and bake for 10-15 minutes. Here's how they would look:



For dessert, I suggest chocolate "ice cream" shooters--also gluten/grain free.

I'd use the recipe for non-dairy chocolate "ice cream" but serve it in shot glasses and top with a bit of whipped cream.  Note--this has to be done at least 6-8 hours in advance so the "cream" can set up.

Here's a link to that recipe:  Dairy Free Ice Cream



Note--I don't use that much coffee when I make mine--I use maybe 1 Tbls and I really like coffee.  The first time I made it, I used the 3 Tbls. and it was too much.  And, make sure the coffee is really finely ground, or use a high powered blender or food processor to mix.  I use my nutri-bullet.

Here's how I would serve it (these are pumpkin pie shots, but you get the idea):





No comments:

Post a Comment