Sunday, August 4, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Sunday's Recipe Share -- Summer Slow Cooker Recipes

I'm one of those people who keep saying I'm going to use my slow cooker more, and then I don't.  I'm really not sure why.  I guess the main reason is that I'm not a morning person and a lot of slow cooker recipes have to be in that pot for 10-12 hours.  Most of the time, I'm planning dinner at 4:30 p.m.!!!

I also think of slow cooker recipes as Fall and Winter cooking--soups, stews, casseroles.  It makes much more sense to use it in the Summer instead of heating up the house with the oven.

So, when I saw these recipes from yeah, yeah, yeah, Cooking Light, I decided it was time to dust it off and plug it in.  I have to say the recipe that intrigued me most was for a dessert...

Amaretti Cheesecake

Cheesecake in a slow cooker, whodathunk????  It makes sense though--adding water to the bottom of the cooker and placing the cake on a rack creates that water bath and steam needed--it is a 3 hour cooking process.  I'm definitely going to try this one.  The 6 hour wait to eat it will be the challenge!

I also make a lot of pulled pork.  In the summer, I usually make it on the grill (I have a gas grill that I can keep the temp low on) but these sandwiches look good!!!  This is a long one -- 8 hours, I have to plan ahead for this one.

Rosemary Pork Sliders with Horseradish Aioli

I love the idea of the rosemary rather than the typical barbecue sauce.  I'm not a horseradish lover, but....

Last but not least, I make some sort of enchilada casserole every time we have leftover taco or fajita meat.  I never thought to make it in a slow cooker and this only has to be in there for 2 hours, hmmmm...

Chicken Enchilada Stack

Do you have a favorite slow cooker recipe?  I'd love to hear about it!

For all the recipes:  Summer Slow Cooker Recipes

No comments:

Post a Comment