Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Wednesday's Wild/Warrior Workout

Most of the workouts that I've been posting on Wednesday have been HIIT (high intensity interval training) or tabata (20 seconds on 10 seconds off for a set number of rounds) or AMRAP (as many rounds as possible).  These are all shorter, high intensity workouts that use intervals to rev up the calorie and fat burn during and after the workout.

Today's workout is part interval, part endurance training.  It is called the 1,000 rep workout from Kathy Porhoroff that I found on YouTube.

Yes, you read correctly--1,000 rep workout.  The beginning is a quite intense ladder-type interval.  Then you go into 10 different exercises doing 100 reps each.  There is rest time in between while the instructor gives modifications and alignment cues for the next exercise.  If you can't do every rep, don't worry about it, do as many as you can.  She considers the beginning a warm up, but as I said, it's quite intense, so I would do a separate warm up first.

Be very careful with the jumping lunges.  You have to make sure you jump straight up and land straight down.  Only do this if you don't have knee issues.  I prefer switching legs each time if you are jumping, again though only if there are no knee problems.  Otherwise, eliminate the jump and just go as deep as you can go keeping in alignment.

I have to say I don't agree with her regarding her comments regarding sweat.  How much or how fast you sweat has nothing to do with your fitness level.  Some people sweat tying their shoes!  I don't sweat a lot, it's never pouring off of me even at my highest intensity.  Not to say that I don't sweat at all.  It's just more about your sweat glands than your fitness level.

I found her entertaining, and very knowledgeable.

There is no final stretch included.  Please do the full body stretch video posted in the right side bar.


No comments:

Post a Comment