Sunday, October 13, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Sunday's Recipe Share -- Chocolate Zucchini Bread

I've decided to try to eliminate grain flours from my diet.  I've got a long history with gastrointestinal issues (don't worry, that's all the info I'm giving) and I'm reading more and more that not just wheat, but all grains can wreak havoc on your digestive system if you are sensitive to them.  Oh, yeah I've also eliminated cane sugar.

I thought sadly that my bread eating days were over, but, as I posted earlier, I've been exploring the Paleo and Primal way of eating...again, I'll post more on this later.  In my exploration, I've come across all types of recipes for grain-free breads.

When I saw this recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Bread from PaleOMG, I knew I had to try it.

Here's the end result.


They actually came out pretty good--it's definitely a recipe I'll keep.  It is not a super sweet bread (there's only 1/3 cup of honey).  It makes a great snack or addition to my smoothie or egg at breakfast.

I think next time I'm going to experiment and sub out some of the sunbutter (I made my own from roasted sunflower seeds--super easy in a food processor) for mashed banana and maybe add in 1/2 c. of dark chocolate chips (they are allowed because they don't have much sweetener and the antioxidants in the dark chocolate are worth it) this should sweeten it up a bit more--I might try making it into muffins as well.

Here's a link to the original recipe:  Moist Chocolate Zucchini Bread (nut free)

No comments:

Post a Comment