Sunday, November 17, 2013

Sunday Recipe Share -- Easy Make Ahead Breakfasts

I am not a morning person or a breakfast person.  The less I have to do in the morning, the better.  However, with teaching classes 4 mornings a week, I know it's important to have something in my system (I don't do well working out on a completely empty stomach).

I was making a lot of refrigerator oatmeal, but then I decided to go grain-free.  So I had a bit of a challenge ahead of me--no grains meant no cereal, no toast and no oatmeal.  Thankfully I found this easy to make breakfast idea on pinterest.  I eat this if I have at least an hour or more before my workout.  Otherwise, I wait and eat it as my post workout meal and have a green smoothie for my pre-workout meal.


Make ahead baked eggs.  They are so simple to make and there are so many variations, I never get bored.   These can be done in muffin tins or ramekins.  I usually only do 4 or so at a time, so I usually use ramekins.

The easiest way to do these:  Layer a piece or two of ham in a greased ramekin.  Crack an egg over the top.  Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes.  That's it.  When they are cool, you can slip them out of the ramekin and put into a tupperware container.  Sometimes I add a layer of spinach between the ham and the egg.  You can also put in a slice of breakfast sausage, pressing it in to form sort of a crust.

The other way I do these is to cut up a bunch of cooked veggies, some ham or cooked bacon or sausage add 4-5 beaten eggs, some milk or cream and fill each ramekin with the "omelette" mixture.  Sprinkle with cheese, if desired.  Bake the same way.  They are really yummy and satisfying.  I sometimes make them for dinner as well, it's so much easier than making individual eggs for everyone.  We eat them right out of the oven.



If eating for breakfast, simply reheat in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and you have a healthy breakfast.  I sometimes add another green smoothie that I make ahead as well to get in even more veggies.



No comments:

Post a Comment