Saturday, April 13, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day-- Saturday Something New--Step Aerobics

Now you may be saying to yourself, "Since when is step aerobics new?"  Well, this is not the same workout that we first did when Step Reebok first came out.  I teach 4 step classes a week.  I have been teaching step aerobics for over 20 years--YIKES!!!  I'm SO glad the outfits changed!!! I can't believe we used to actually wear that stuff!


Step is so different now from where it originated!  Some of the choreography that I see posted now on YouTube is CRAZY!  I get ideas/inspiration from these videos, but a good number of them are way too complicated for what I need--I have people at so many different levels in my classes (some who've never stepped before) that it would scare too many away.  It also takes away some of cardio element of the class because I have to spend too much time breaking steps down and teaching them.

The way I teach my step classes now is a bit more like the video I'm posting today.  I use simpler steps and routines that are high energy to get the heart rate up and then I do sculpting segments either in longer blocks or as drills to get that important  muscle work in there as well.  Step aerobics is great for the legs, but can be stressful to the knee joint and lower back if not done at the proper height.  Once again, your knee should not bend past 90 degrees as you step up onto the platform.  In the video, she's on two risers which is too high for most people.  If you've not done it in a while, use no risers.

So dust off that step, put on your thong leotard and leg warmers (kidding!!!) and give it a whirl!  Don't have a step?  You can easily do the moves on the floor, just make the moves BIG!
Yes, this is the same instructor as above, much better outfit!

Here's the link to the video--I couldn't find the link to post it directly:

No comments:

Post a Comment