Sunday, April 21, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Sunday Recipe Share -- Healthier Mac and Cheese

Going along with my post on Friday regarding childhood obesity, I decided to post a healthier version of a childhood and adulthood favorite:  macaroni and cheese.



None of my four kids really loved it all that much.  I admit, I made it mostly from the box (remember, I didn't really get into health and fitness until my third child was born around 1992).  It was during this time that the lowfat/no fat craze was going on.  So, to me, if I made the stuff from the box with skim milk and no butter, making it pretty much fat free, we were eating "lighter" which must mean healthier food.  I didn't give much thought to the weird orange color, it was all about fat grams, plus did I mention I had four kids....Anyway, I usually prepared it as a side dish (yes, 1 box for the 6 of us) and there would still be leftovers!

No my kids were not huge fans, that is until I discovered how easy it was to make my own cheese sauce and started to bake it, now they request it.  Little do they know that my mac and cheese is healthier than that stuff in the box, even though it tastes so yummy!

Here's my recipe:

Preheat oven to 350.  Cook whatever shape pasta noodles you want to use--I prefer something more ribbed or even small shells to hold more of the sauce, and I use whole wheat pasta or a combo of regular and whole wheat.  For this recipe, for an 8 x 8  inch casserole, I'd make 1/2 of a 16 oz. box of pasta.  You can easily add some frozen veggies--chopped broccoli, cauliflower, green beans to the pasta the last minute or so to cook.  Adding salt to the pasta water is optional--sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, it depends on the cheese I use in my sauce.  Drain, but keep a bit (1/2 c or so) of the pasta water.

I make my sauce several different ways.  I start out making a basic white sauce--here's where one of the differences are.  If I'm serving this as a side with something like burgers or other red meat, I omit any oil or butter from the recipe.

White sauce #1.  I start with a can of evaporated skim milk and put that into a saucepan.  To this, whisk in about 3 tablespoons of flour ( I use whole wheat).  Put this on medium heat stirring constantly until it starts to thicken.  If it is too thick, you can add some of the pasta water or milk--whatever you have in the fridge, by the tablespoon until it becomes the desired consistency.  If it's a little thin, wait, additional cooking and/or the added cheese may thicken it up enough.

White sauce #2.  I prepare a roux first.  Heat up 3 Tablespoons of olive oil in the saucepan.  Whisk in 3 Tbls of flour cook for a minute or so--if too thick add a bit more oil.  To this add the can of evaporated skim milk, cook on medium heat whisking constantly until thickened.

Turn the sauce down to low.  To the white sauce add:  2 oz (1/4 pkg) of light cream cheese that is cut into chunks.  Stir until melted.  Remove sauce from heat.  To this add your choice of 1/2 c. shredded cheese.  I usually use reduced fat cheese.  Here's where you can get creative--there are so many flavors of cheese.  Stir until melted.  If the sauce is thin, add a tablespoon or 2 more of cheese. Add salt/pepper to taste.  Some cheeses contain a lot of salt.  Make sure you taste first.  Note:  I use this same recipe for my Alfredo sauce, I use mozzarella, plus Parmesan, Asiago, Romano or a blend.

Depending on the size of your pot, you can either add the pasta to the sauce, or the sauce to the pasta.  If it's too thick, thin it down with some of the pasta water.

Spray an 8 x 8 casserole dish with cooking spray.  Spoon the pasta into it.  Instead of buttered bread crumbs, I crush up corn flakes (about 1/3-1/2 cup) and sprinkle them on top and then drizzle a bit of olive oil over it.

Bake 20-30 min until bubbly.  Enjoy!

I found this recipe on Pinterest from a pin via myplate.  I would make the pasta and sauce my usual way, but I like the idea of adding mashed butternut squash to it--especially to a cheddar sauce--canned pumpkin would probably be good too--maybe 1/2 a can and then more to taste.  

http://www.diabeticlivingonline.com/recipe/four-cheese-macaroni-and-cheese/

Do you add/sneak veggies into any of your recipes?  I add all kinds of  shredded or blended veggies to meatloaf, burgers and meatballs.  When I have cauliflower, I always make my mashed "potatoes" half cauliflower, I add pumpkin to my chili, zucchini to baked goods. I like adding veggies to  recipes to add flavor and to amp up the nutritional value.   I only have one child that isn't a big vegetable eater.  Thankfully, he loves salad so there's always that option, along with my sneakiness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment