Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Wednesday's Website -- Eat This, Not That

I'm sure you have seen the multiple books with this title written by David Zinczenko with Matt Goulding.
I have two of them that I recently took out of the library.  Some of the nutritional information, especially on restaurant food, really surprised me.  Some of the foods that I would have considered healthier choices, turned out to be anything but that.  I like the fact that supermarket foods are also included as well as recipes to make healthier versions of your favorite restaurant items.  While looking through the books, I came across the free website that is featured here today and decided to check it out.


There is a lot of great information on this website.  There are free trackers.  There's a section entitled "Top Swaps" that features top pick items and top items to pass up from many different restaurant chains. I referenced this website before my latest visit to The Cheesecake Factory.  It helped me pick my healthier entree (they do have a new Skinny menu there now).  Yes, I still ordered the wonderfully decadent cheesecake--Rick and I split it.  C'mon, even I can't go to The Cheesecake Factory without ordering cheesecake--and not the low carb, low fat one--eeww.  But, even though I knew that the cheesecake was a crazy amount of fat and calories, I didn't feel as guilty knowing that my entree was a good choice--and that I don't eat cheesecake on a daily basis.  Thankfully, many restaurants are now offering lighter fare food choices.  I know I will be visiting this website again to help me make better choices when eating out.  You do have to sign up for free membership either through facebook or entering your name and email.  Note--I did get some emails from Men's Health after I signed in via facebook that I will have to unsubscribe from.

If you prefer books, this is one of the books that I have checked out.

I really liked it because it stresses that this is NOT a diet.  It's a healthier way of eating and looking at the foods that you buy from the grocery store and at restaurants.  These healthier swaps and choices are lifelong changes that you can make and not feel deprived.  There are also recipes for healthier versions of things like French Toast Stuffed with Strawberries and Tiramisu.

It also gives you food matrix-es.  For example, the first one is for trail mix.  You start by choosing a nut from the list, a seed, an extra crunch, and a sweetener.  You can make up your own combination or follow the recipes on the next page.  There's also a matrix for fruit salad, vegetable salad, deli salad, smoothies and snacks.

Subjects like high blood pressure and cholesterol are also addressed.  There is a section on exercise.  There's a good amount of  humor thrown in as well.  I do think this is one I will be purchasing in the near future.    

No comments:

Post a Comment