Sunday, July 7, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Sunday's Recipe Share -- Healthy Food on a Stick

It's Summer, time for food served on a stick!  However, I hope corn dogs aren't the only thing that come to mind!  There are many great foods that can be served in this fun, portable way.


What is your favorite food on a stick?  I just made a simple chicken kebab using boneless breast meat sprinkled with lemon pepper and oregano.  I drizzled a bit of olive oil over the chicken so it wouldn't stick to the grill (you could just oil the grill grates too).  I served it with some grilled whole wheat pita bread and a side salad--yum!

Once again, I've relied on Cooking Light magazine to pave the way.  They have 20 awesome recipes on their site.

Appetizers:

Grilled Okra and Tomato Skewers

Main Dishes:


Chicken Kebabs with Nectarine Salsa

Even Dessert:


Chocolate-Toffee Apples       
Limoncello Pops

Here's a link to all the recipes:  Food on a Stick

For all you corn dog lovers out there, here's a bonus recipe from Rachel Ray for Baked Corn Dogs--I make these every time I make chili--I don't put them on a stick, but you could.  If I'm in a huge hurry, I just make up a batch of mini corn muffin batter,cut hot dogs into thirds, fill the mini muffin pan 2/3 way, stick a piece of hot dog into the middle and bake.  Let me be the first the say, they are not the same as fried corn dogs--but they are a healthy, satisfying substitute for me--and my family loves them.

Here's Rachel Ray's recipe:  oven baked corn dogs

In a pinch, there's always Pickle on a Stick--easy peasy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment