Sunday, August 11, 2013

Fitness Tip of the Day: Sunday Recipe Share -- Ravinia Recipes

Last night we spent the evening at Ravinia listening to Josh Groban.  It was a wonderfully relaxing concert.  He has such a beautiful voice.

Today I thought I'd share the recipes for the food I brought for us to dine on, and no, it wasn't just a cheese plate and wine (that's for you Pete Granger)!

We did start with cheese--my lighter cheese spread/ball recipe:

1 8oz. package of light cream cheese
1 green onion chopped (finer if you don't like the bigger pieces)
1 Tbls. minced garlic (I like it garlicky!) you can do less if you'd like
salt to taste

Mix it all together in a bowl.  You can put it on a piece of saran wrap and shape it into a ball, or you can put it into a container and make it more of a dip.  Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.  Serve with crackers or crudites of your choice.

For our main dish, we had lemon chicken pitas with sauteed kale.  I have to admit, we had this for dinner the night before, and I made these sandwiches from the leftovers.  I used the recipe for Chicken Francese from skinnytaste.com.  This is another great website for lighter, healthier versions of recipes.

I did change a couple of things from the original recipe.


In my version, I used one whole egg mixed with a little bit of water (yes, that increases the calories and fat, but not by much).  Egg yolks are actually not the bad guys of the past, but are good for you, plus the fact that it was being divided between 6 servings makes it worth it for the added flavor.

I seasoned the flour instead of the chicken.  I used homemade chicken stock.  I did have to cook the sauce much longer than 2 minutes to get it to the right consistency.  I just served the sauce over the chicken.  It was delicious!

For the kale, I put about a Tbls. of olive oil into a non stick pan and heated it up.  I added a bunch of chopped kale (ribs removed), approximately 2 cups.  I sauteed it for a few minutes.  I then added about a tsp. of chopped garlic (again, I love my garlic--plus it's good for you).  I added salt and pepper to taste.  I continued to saute until it wilted to about half the size of what it started at.  A lot of people don't like kale, saying that it has a bitter flavor--make sure you remove the rib that is down the leaf--that's where the bitterness is.  If you're still not a fan, you can sub spinach or swiss chard for the kale and prepare it the same way.

To make the sandwiches, I simply filled a whole wheat pita with a piece of chicken, about 1/4 cup of kale and some of the leftover sauce.  It was just as tasty served cold.

For dessert, I prepared a ginger cookie stack.  My inspiration came from a recipe from Woman'sDay.com.  Again, I changed a couple of things based on what I had in my fridge and pantry.

I made 4 servings.  First off,  I used plain Greek yogurt instead of lemon flavored about 1 cup.  To the yogurt, I added about a Tbls. of sugar free instant vanilla pudding mix.  This flavored the yogurt and thickened it up to a custard consistency.  I didn't have any whipped topping, so I eliminated it.  I have made it both ways, the whipped topping makes more of a mousse consistency.  I used paper cupcake liners.  I stacked the ginger cookies adding about a Tbls of filling between each cookie--I used 4 cookies total.

I had some mixed berries in the freezer.  I put about a 1/2 cup into a small pan and heated them up to make a topping.  I sprinkled a bit of stevia over the top.  I placed this topping over the last cookie.  I refrigerated the stacks for a couple of hours.  The yogurt softened the cookies--they are really delicious.  I think I'm going to try adding some pumpkin for a Thanksgiving dessert.  YUM!!!

Here's the original recipe:  Lemon-Ginger Cookie Stacks

We had a great time, great company, great music and great food!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment